The bad news : one of the six rubber connectors shows a fault line.
|Steppir rubber connector attacked by the sun|
|Steppir rubber connector after taping in|
No problems detected on the 12 conductor control cable. Ouf...
Second change : reform the 30m optibeam dipole to a 40m dipole. Simple job : just change some tubing. I also added a 1:1 balun to avoid mantle currents. Installation on the typical on4ccp method : tape and plastic bindings. Certainly not following the correct mechanical rules of attaching things, nor using the special stuff provided by dxengineering, but it works (since 17 years I used almost only plastic tape and bindings).
Third change : replace all RG213 by Ecoflex10. The complete coax chain exists now of Ecoflex10 and 7/8" hardline, both for power handling and low loss reasons. Replacing the connectors took a lot time i.e. connecting a N-connector to Ecoflex (same as Aircom) is very easy and can be done without soldering and in a very short time. But connecting a PL connector to Ecoflex was a hard long job. I've experienced many problems to conduct the core cupper into the connector. The 7 cupper wires must exactly fit into the connector hole. A bit too much force and there is always one wire bending. Restart from 0...
Finally, one of the main reasons why I'm such a supporter of the steppir antenne : turning over the tower is very easy with the fiber tubes. On one side I can insert the 3 fibers so to tower can hit the ground without the need of a ladder.